Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Orthodontic Work!

Yesterday afternoon, I took the girls in to get their palette expanders put in their mouths, so we can expand these jaws.  I didn't think it would be a big deal. I told the girls they would have an appliance at the roof of their mouths and it might be hard to eat for a little bit.

I was kind of wrong! The orthodontist first took Courtney back first because she had to get her bottom spacer put on plus her palette expander. She already had her braces on from last week, so she only had two things to add this week.  After about 15 minutes, they came back and got Megan.

I stayed out front with Christian and talked to the receptionist about insurance and paying for this lovely adventure. :)  After awhile, I decided to stick my head back in the dental area and see how things were going.

I asked, "How's everybody doing?" and the orthodontist said that Courtney had everything on and was super brave, but after he was done, she started dripping (crying.)  I looked at her and her eyes were big and red and she looked sooooo sad. :(  She tried to talk, but she jut couldn't!! She showed me her appliance and honestly, it was bigger than I thought it was going to be! It took up the top of her mouth and was not near the top at all, but more straight across the middle! No wonder the poor thing couldn't talk! She tried her hardest through her tears. I could tell she was super frustrated and she is a tough kid!

I hugged her and said it would be alright and then looked at Megan.  She also had hers in, but it didn't seem to be bothering her near as much. I looked in her mouth and the same appliance was in there, but since she is older, she has a bigger mouth and a few more teeth. It didn't seem to take up as much room as Courtney's!

The orthodontist then proceeded to show me how to turn these expanders with a key, which I didn't really understand.  He showed me on Megan becase I didn't want to upset Courtney anymore! He turned Megan's appliance and she winced, it hurt! Poor thing! I really felt bad that I had these put on, but they will thank me later when their jaws are lined up like they are supposed to be! (And not be an adult and need to surgery to get your jaw widened like I need to do!)

All the way home, I could not understand a word either girl was saying.  It was pitiful.  We got home and I made them some orange juliuses and let them sit in front of the TV for awhile. 

After everything had settled down and we were off the couch and away from the TV, I heard the girls trying to talk. I even saw Courtney reading out of a chapter book in the living room! She was determined to figure out how to talk!

We had supper and that was a little bit of a struggle because food can get caught up above the expanders and there is really no way to get it out.  Supper took a long time because this kept happening!

Today the girls are doing much better! I am beginning to understand them more and they are figuring out how to eat.  It will definitely take some getting used to.  I tried to take the key and turn the appliances this morning, but I couldn't get it. Honestly, I think I am afraid that I am going to hurt them! I told them that we will have dad do it tonight.

We need to turn them 14 times and then go back to the orthodontist. He originally wanted us to do it twice a day, but we might just do it once until we get the hang of it. :)  He said after 14 times, he will measure their jaws again and see if we have to turn them anymore.  When they are expanded to his satisfaction, they will need to keep their appliances in for six months.  Then they can come out and they will need to learn how to talk and eat again!! 

I am not sure how long Courtney will need her braces, but I am guessing for about the same time.  She will have her spacer for a couple of years or until she starts losing her molars.

The orthodontist hopes that Megan will not need a full set of braces. Her teeth are straight and lined up, so he thinks they will just adjust themselves after we get her jaw widened. He said he has seen it happen before. If it did, that would be great and would save us thousands of dollars!



No comments:

Post a Comment