Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve!

This week has been weird.  No school. No outings. No dance class. Not much going on!

I think we are enjoying it though!

Today is super busy! We will go to church tonight at 4 and then come back home, have a nice meal together, and open presents. This is our night as a family!

A couple years ago, we started the tradition of having ham balls (Matt's favorite) and cheesy potatoes for a Christmas Eve meal.  I don't think we did this last year because there were too many yet on a strict diet, but this year, I am the only one left watching what I eat almost every meal.  We are going to make ham balls this year, but I will be doing some substituting. :)  Of course, Matt asks, "They are going to be REAL hamballs, right?" Sure thing!!!! I will try my best!!!

There is no way to substitute the sour cream and cheese in the cheesy potatoes, so I will make those and just not eat them. I think I am going to make myself a side of hash browns. We are also going to have real green beans (not frozen or out of a can).  For dessert, I found a recipe for hot apple topping using apple pie filling. I bought some REAL ice cream for the rest of the family and I will be making myself some homemade rice ice cream this afternoon!

We are also going to get out our good dishes (and wine goblets) and eat at the dining room table. The kids' favorite part is drinking the sparkling grape juice! I have two bottles on hand because it is just that good!

After we get done eating, we will all move to the piano room and start on the presents. Before we open the presents though, we always read the Christmas story out of the book of Luke. Matt always does this.  Then we each take turns opening presents.  The kids each get three and it looks like Matt and I each have three ourselves.  Well, the kids will have three if the post man brings their last one today in the mail. If not, they will just get two for now.

I'm looking forward to a memorable evening! Now to get busy!!!

PS The mailman did bring their final gift today, so I am happy and the girls will be happy too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment