Monday, January 14, 2013

Amazed every day!

I amazed every day at how much I am learning along with Megan and Courtney!
I have a master's degree and I swear I have never learned the things that my girls are learning right now!

This is our 2nd week of studying plants in science.  Maybe I just didn't pay much attention in school because I didn't care at the time or I really didn't learn about this stuff, I don't know, but it seems all new to me now. For example, we learned about plant bulbs today. Now I knew there were plant bulbs just because we have a tulip in our front flower bed and one year I was going to through this ball-like thing away because I didn't know what it was- Matt informed me it was a tulip bulb and to put it back! Today I learned (and taught the girls) all about plant bulbs! And since I am allergic to garlic, I found it funny that garlic is a bulb. 

The other day we studied all about seeds. We looked around our kitchen and made a poster of various food items that were made out of seeds. Again, amazing. We eat a lot of things made out of seeds! 

Tomorrow we are going to talk about pollination. It talks about it in our book pretty good, but I always want to find something fun to do with the girls, so tomorrow we are going to make bees out of toilet paper rolls with pipe cleaners for legs and then flowers out of tissue paper.  Then we are going to put glitter on the flowers and have the bees "polliate" the flowers. Sounds like fun? Then we can go back and talk about those seeds we explored last week. (Hopefully this won't take more than our 1/2 hour time alloted for science class!)

I'm not sure what we are studying Thursday, but I'm loooking forward to it. I really wish we were studying this is the spring time, then we could get outside and really look at plants!

On another note, Megan has been studying the Revolutionary War in history. We just finished JohnnyTremain and I learned so much (along with Megan). Again, I am a history major and I didn't  know half the stuff I taught my daughter! For example, we learned last week that when the British soldiers were marching off to go fight the colonists, they would sing "Yankee Doodle" as a song to mock the colonists.  If you read the words in that context, it makes sense.  All through the war, both sides would made up various lyrics to the tune to mock the other side. At the end of the war, the yankees claimed it as their song and sung it back to the British with their lyrics (in a mocking way, of course).  Megan and I had fun looking up this song with the different lyrics and trying to sing them. There are so many verses out there!

Now I know you are all going to go sing "Yankee Doodle" now, but before you get too far, you know the lines "...stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni!" Do you think they really meant a piece of macaroni? I challenge you to find out what this line means! You will certainly learn about life during the Revolutionary War!

And this is why I love homeschooling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment