Thursday, December 22, 2011

School for the Holidays

I decided to keep going on school. We are going to slow down for a bit and take some time off here and there, but I really need to keep going. I am on week 17 out or 36, if I don't keep going, we will be in school until June- which was half the point of homeschooling! Megan is also begging me to have "school", so we might as well keep working. I think she just really enjoys it!

Yesterday, we read three lessons in our readers, two lessons in our read-aloud and did a lesson in history. This took about 2 1/2 hours, but now, we are ahead in readers and we can spend time on other subjects. I love the flixibility of homeschooling!

History took about an hour yesterday. Usually it doesn't take that long. But we covered 1. the emperor Nero who was the most hated emperor in the Roman empire, let's just say he loved tormenting Christians! 2. The destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in AD 70 (which was prophesized in the Old Testament) and 3. the destruction of Pompeii by a volcano in AD 79. Now do you think I can just read the information out of our textbook and let it be? NO!! I want to dig further! I got out books and we read some info on the internet. I I found a short documentary about Pompeii the other night on Netflix and I want to watch it with Megan. These were three huge and very important topics covered in one day! I think it is so interesting!

I'm so glad Megan is interested in history!! How would I feel if she wasn't? Would I be disappointed? I think I would be, but I also have to know that every kid is different and I need to cater to his/ her needs.

We also need to do some catching up on math. We are on lesson 67 and I want to be to lesson 80 (halfway done) by the time we end week 18 (halfway done) with our other material. We may be doing two lessons a day-good thing Megan likes Math too!

I am also still on a search for something to teach Courtney to read. We have decided that we are going to keep her home next year. (We got a letter the other day from Millard Public Schools on how to register her for kindergarten. ) She says she doesn't want to homeschool and she doesn't want to go to school, she just wants to play all day. Wrong! My mom mentioned a site to me yesterday called www.readinga-z.com and I checked it out. It is almost exactly what I am looking for! After seeing how Megan was taught to read in school, I am looking for something similiar. I want phonics based, a variety of activities, plus short books to read as you go along. This one fit all my criteria. It is about $85 and you have to print everything off yourself. I got a week's trial, so I am going to check out the lessons.

I am just debating, there are 68 lessons so I am just wondering how to set it up if I go with this program. Do I start after Christmas and work with her and then have her reading by next fall? Or do I just work with her out of her preschool books and start to teach her how to read next fall? She already knows all her upper and lower case letters and she knows most of the sounds, so I think I need to keep building on her enthusiasm. I also need to find time to fit her in.

I may redo my schedule next semester. Maybe do some school in the morning and maybe do some homeschooling activities in the afternoon. Christian hasn't been a very good napper lately, so maybe he's giving up his naps already. This is good and bad. I also need to fit an hour or so into the day where I can have some down-time. I have a couple of weeks to think things over. I also enrolled the girls in swimming lessons on Tuesdays at 4:15, so that will take some time out of our day. I may need to reconsider doing this, it may be too much.

Anyway, time to get ready for the day. Lots to do today before our big Christmas weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment