Sunday, December 18, 2011

Crazy Weekend- Thankful to get back to Normal

This last week, my grandma passed away pretty unexpectantly. We were all pretty sad about it.
But as everybody knows, when somebody passes away, life gets turned upside down for awhile.

Last Tuesday (13th of December) Matt left at 6 am to work in Des Moines for 3 days. We are getting pretty used to this, but about 3 pm, I got a phone call from my mom telling me that my grandma had passed away. My immediate thought was that I should stop teaching Megan, wake Christian up from his nap, and head out to Scribner to be with the family. My mother stopped me. :) It was rainy and foggy and I was home alone with 3 children. I stayed in Omaha! But I kept in close contact with everybody back home throughout the evening.

Wednesday was preschool for Courtney and school in the afternoon for Megan. We met some of Courtney's preschool friends for supper before AWANA that night, so that was a nice break in the week.

Thursday was crazy busy with two appointments for me in the morning, dr. appt. for Courtney in the afternoon for bronchitis, groceries, then dance. I am very thankful that grandma came and helped out all day. Matt also got home about 7 that night. No time for school for Megan.

Friday was preschool for Courtney and I didn't have school again with Megan on Friday afternoon. I needed the afternoon to catch up and get things ready for our busy weekend. Friday evening was my grandma's viewing back home, so by 4:30, we were ready to leave. We got to Scribner and we saw grandma. It was pretty sad for everybody, but on the other hand, it was nice seeing everybody again. I don't make it home for the Hasemann Christmas, so this was my chance to see all my relation. Many people showed up that I hadn't seen in years, but I will say the saddest part of it was towards the end. Grandpa had gotten up and just stood beside my grandma's casket, I just wonder, what was he thinking? What would he say to her? I got choked up! It was so sweet when Megan and Abby walked over to him and they were all looking at grandma. If only I could've heard their conversation! He was married to her for 65 years! Just amazing!

After the viewing, we went out for supper. It was so nice getting out of Omaha and away from all the chain restaurants. I really appreciate the small town feel and just everything that is so low-key out there. I should really visit more often! Anyway, we pulled into our garage about 10:30 pm and yes, all three kids were asleep.

By 7:30 Saturday morning, all of us were up and getting ready to go to my grandma's funeral. It was another hour drive back to Scribner. We got everybody dresseed up- even I had to get dressed up! I wore some clothes I hadn't worn for a couple of years, but it felt good to wear something besides jeans and sweatshirts! We attended the funeral and it was amazing! I thought the pastor did a great job, my grandma's huge family was there, and everybody had nice things to say about her! She always had a smile on her face, always welcomed you into her home, and always thought of you before herself. What a great lady! I will say the saddest part was seeing my grandpa cry after the commital at the cemetary, I don't think there was a dry eye anywhere around!

After the funeral, I had a chance to take my kids around my old stomping grounds-AKA St. Paul's Lutheran Church. We found secret stairways, climbed the bell tower, wondered around the cemetary and read tombstones written in German from the 1880's, and even found my old confirmation pictures! Again, I really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the old country church. It is nothing like I attend now. But I think it is funny that the SAME people sing in the choir as did 15 years ago, the SAME lady is playing the organ as when I went to church there, and the SAME ladies helped serve the meal afterwards! I just had to laugh! Only a few things had changed, like they had added on an elevator and maybe there was new carpet, but really not much!

After the meal, we took my kids over to grandmas and Matt and I headed up to West Point to get gifts for a Christmas party we had at 5 in Hooper. On the way home, we stopped at my brother's house, who lives in my grandparents' house now, to see what he's done with. I think it looks great! A lot of upkeep is needed, but it will all come in time.

Lastly the Ruwe Christmas party at 5 in Hooper. More food, presents, lots of conversation. We didn't leave until about 8:30 pm (I think, it might have been more like 9?). We got home, put the kids to bed, and went to bed ourselves!

Sunday we said we were going to stay home, but that didn't happen. We went to church and little Christmas shopping til 2:30 in the afternoon! We had to finish school for the week for Megan and make some cookies for Courtney's program tomorrow at preschool.

This upcoming week is super-busy too, but the following week, I think we are going to take off from school and just take a little break. Matt also has a couple of days off. Won't that be nice for everyone?

1 comment:

  1. vERY NICE cHARLA!I know it was stressfull but it was great to see everyone home ,so Grandma can go home!

    ReplyDelete