Monday, June 13, 2011

12 month checkup

To continue the birthday celebrations, I took Christian in for his one year checkup today.

Weight- 21 lbs. 12 oz (35%)
Height- 31 inches (85%)

He is long and skinny, I wonder where he gets that from!!

The doctor checked him out and says he looks great. We are still nursing, so hopefully he will start weaning himself soon. My goal is to be done within a month or so, but I do want him to self-wean. It's better for both of us.

Christian has only gotten 8 teeth so far and on his gums, he has spots where his molars should be that look like cysts with bluish color on the side of them. I had the doctor look at them and she said they are blood blisters where his teeth are coming in. She says they are rare, but she does see them (I have heard this before!). She said that when his teeth come through, they will bleed a lot, so be ready and don't freak out!

We also talked about vaccinations. He was supposed to get MMR, Chicken Pox, Hep B and Hep A today. All of them except for the Heb B were new. I was not ok with giving him three brand new shots when I am still taking his urine in monthly for urine checks from his HSP, which could've been caused by the flu shot. In the end, we decided to spread them out. I asked her which one would be the least likely to give him a reaction and she said the chicken pox. She said he's probably more likely to get exposed to chicken pox before measles, mumps, or rubella. So we gave him chicken pox and hep B. He had this one earlier and had no problems with it. We are going to spread the rest out then. Sounds like a plan to me!

They also checked his CBC today, which came back normal, so that was great. Urine check was normal too. The poor thing walked out with four bandaids today (one on each middle finger for the blood draw. One nurse did it first and he didn't bleed enough, so another nurse came and gave him a warm pack on the other hand and then she got enough blood. He also had a bandaid on each leg from his shots)

Remind me next time to have the girls go to the hallway while we are taking blood/ giving shots. Courtney was very concerned about Christian and did not like it when they were taking his blood. Christian wasn't crying and didn't seem to care, but Courtney was close to tears. I wasn't too concerned, but after they gave him his two shots, I looked over at her and she had tears running down her face! Sweet thing! Then I see Megan hiding out behind the chair- apparently she was having trouble with it all too! I love their empathy for their little brother! I think the whole place heard them crying- they were not quiet about it! We were all a mess there for a couple of minutes! Poor Courtney, I think she'll have to get 4 or 5 shots at her kindergarten physical in about a year. Yikes! Not looking forward to that one!

The doctor was also impressed that he was walking, I told her that he is into everything and is opposite of my sweet girls who would sit for hours and play with toys. She was also giving me some ideas how to block off our stairs.

So all in all, a good visit! We go back in at 15 months! (But I still have to take a urine sample in next month and I think we're going to get another shot)

Side Note- After I got home and got to talking about this with Matt, we thought it was funny that he's always having "blood" problems. He had low blood platelets when he was born, his HSP was bruising, and now we have blood blisters in our mouth. Kind of odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment