Friday, January 21, 2011

Back to the Doctor Today

I called our pediatrician this morning because the ER doctor said we should follow up with her. And of course, she wanted us to come in!

So after MOPS and errands this afternoon, Christian and I headed out to see our doctor. She looked him over and seemed to agree with the ER doctor. I asked her if she had ever seen this before and she said she has treated a couple kids with HS Purpua. She said that Christian was her youngest though.

She also said that she would like to continue to check his urine on a weekly basis. Apparently, he had protein in his urine at the ER and she wanted to watch it until that was gone. (Nobody told me anything about this on Tuesday night and our doctor today didn't expand on it, so I'm not quite sure what this is all about.) The nurse came in afterwards and showed me how to collect a little boy's urine and then I need to bring it in. Fun, fun! She wants me to bring urine in weekly for about a month, and then monthly, and then we'll see from there. She said sometimes it can still affect them 2-3 years after the fact. Wow! (So by that time, are we still checking for protein or are we checking for blood in the urine?? I'm not quite sure. )

She also rechecked his platelets today. They were at 375,000! Wow! There is no trouble there!

We also talked about the stomach pains that can come from this. She said if he is screaming in pain and is unconsolable one minute and then fine the next, we should be alarmed and bring him in. He has not been like this, so I think we're ok in this department.

Christian was very happy during this appointment. The doctors say the kids are perfectly healthy except for the bruises on his legs. His are going away, but his feet had purple polka dots on them today. I think she checked the platelets because low platelets causes little purple dots, but that is not the case, I'm pretty sure they are new bruises.

She said the bruises should go away in 2-3 days, but new ones could appear. The main one that we took him in for the other night is almost gone. Now it's just gray and yellow. His ankle is still bruised and you can see where the other ones are going away too.

Hopefully we're almost done with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment