Friday, October 27, 2017

New Allergy Concerns

Oh Micah! I wish he would have a normal immune system and not react to everything!!

Last week, I made apple crisp for breakfast, and when he was done eating, I noticed some red blotches around his mouth. I didn't call anyone, and just let it be. It went away within an hour.

This week, I made apple crisp again, and it happened again! More red blotches around his mouth. 

Last night, I fed him a pear and AGAIN, the whole area around his mouth turned red. He looked like a clown! Poor thing! Matt was home, and he suggested to give him Benadryl, so I did. I am not sure if it helped any.

Because this has happened three times now, I called his allergist this morning and made an appointment.

I do have a theory on this all though. I think he has "oral allergy syndrome."  This means that when he eats certain fruits or vegetables, he will turn red around his mouth, his mouth will itch, and all the other fun allergy stuff can happen. It can even turn anaphylaxis. (Good thing I have an epi-pen!)

This all stems from the fact that the protein in the fruit he is eating resembles the protein in pollen.  Micah has now had trouble with apples, pears, kiwi, and almonds (these are his other known allergies), and these are all related to birch pollen.  I am wondering if he is not allergic to birch pollen! Then his body is mistaking the proteins in these foods as birch pollen and is fighting against them.

I am waiting on a call back from his allergist today, and I am going to ask her if we can get him tested for birch pollen. I don't think there is much we can do about a birch pollen allergy; we have a birch tree in our front yard!!

Here is a good article that explains it all.
http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome

(It is weird though because in the article it says if you cook the fruit, there won't be a reaction. I cooked the apples in apple crisp and he reacted.  He also eats pears and apples all the time; why is he reacting now? Is the pollen count just really high??  He can also eat red apples fine, but I use green apples in apple crisp. Can he have red apples and not green?? I know I have given him pears lately too, but last night, I fed him brown pears. Are those worse than green or red pears? Hmmmm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment