Thursday, June 22, 2017

Who needs to see anyway??

With my family leaving for an extended trip in about two weeks, I want to make sure I have enough contacts to take along to last that long. I have daily contacts (even though I wear them at least two days), but not enough to last me for as long as we will be gone.

In order to get new contacts, I needed to get my eyes examined. I made an appointment and got that done today.  Last year when I got my eyes checked, my eyes only changed a little bit, and the eye doctor recommended changing my prescription in my glasses, but I never did. I figure that it was just a minor change, so I didn't want to deal with it. I also didn't need contacts last year, so I skipped that whole part.

This year was a completely different story!! I was kind of bummed because I found out today that now my right eye has astigmatism. My left eye has always had it, so I was used to paying more for contacts for that eye, but now I have to pay more for my right eye too! The doctor said I had a little bit last year, but not enough to warrant a prescription, but it must have gotten worse, and he added it in there. In addition to the astigmatism, my right eye got a little bit worse and my left eye got a little bit better.

After the eye exam, the doctor had me put my glasses back on and cover my left eye. I think he was trying to make a point of how much my vision had changed in my right eye. I couldn't even read the top letter! Point well taken!! When I uncovered my left eye, everything became clear again.  He said once I get into a new prescription, my eyes will work better together and won't strain them so bad.

My next step was to deal with contacts. Usually it costs me around $35 for a contact lens exam; today it cost me $80!! Thanks to my astigmatism again!! This fee is for the additional doctor visits, sample contact lenses, and extra fittings that are involved when you order new contacts. I totally forgot about this fee until today, and of course, insurance does not cover it because contacts are cosmetic.

In addition to the $80 today, I also need to purchase contacts. Last time I ordered a box of 90 and it lasted me two years. I don't wear my contacts every day and sometime I wear them for two days at a time.  Before I got my eyes examined, the technician looked up the price of my current brand. My left eye (astigmatism) was $96 for 90 contacts and my right eye was about $60 for 90 of them. But now I have to buy two boxes for astigmatism, so now they will be $95 per box!

Luckily I didn't order them today. I am debating whether to order them somewhere else, but honestly, I think they are usually around $90 a box.. Unfortunately, insurance gives us nothing for contacts. :(

In the end, I had to pay $80 for the contact lens fitting fee, probably around $200 for new contacts, and  I will need a new pair of glasses, in which our insurance only gives us a 20% discount. I am sure a new pair of glasses will cost at least $100-$200.

Seriously, who needs to see anyway?? I am soooo glad none of our children need glasses yet!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment