Thursday, June 22, 2017

All Gone!

Micah and I are very near to the end of our breastfeeding journey. I have never nursed a kid this long and he is really holding out. The only time he nurses is right away in the morning. This is a habit because every morning I get him out of bed and we sit and nurse while I watch the morning news. This works for me too because I usually need some time to wake up.

But I only nurse him if he asks. He stopped asking for "milk" at all the other times of the day, so I stopped offering it and therefore, he stopped nursing throughout the day. If he does sign "milk," I usually distract him with a drink or a snack, and he is fine. But every single morning, he still asks for "milk". One of these days, he is not going to sign "milk," and we will be done.

Yesterday I was cleaning out our freezer and found my stash of frozen breastmilk from over a year ago. What do you do with milk this old?? Nothing except throw it out. I dumped 38 ounces of milk down the drain. :(  This was my emergency stash that I never needed. I was pretty bummed that I had to throw all of that away. Even if I would have defrosted it, it would have been bad.

Today I left for about an hour to get my eyes examined and when I got home, Micah acted like he hadn't seen all day  and signed "milk" like crazy! I kept telling him that the milk was all gone and he just kept getting madder! He signed it over and over and over!  I think he still wants it for comfort, but we are done during the day. I am totally ok with it too! Now, when he is completely done, I may be a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment