Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Schoolwork done yet?

Something is going to happen this year that has never happened before with my kids and their schoolwork. For some reason, we are not going to finish our English books! (I know, it's a pity, right?)

Every year, we have worked hard through the summer and we have gotten through our entire English book. I don't know what happened this year, but both girls have at least two chapters left! We somehow got behind during the school year and were not able to catch back up.

Time is running out too. We have about 2 1/2 weeks left until we leave on our trip, and I will not take school work along on our trip. This only means one thing; we will have to quit where we are and not finish.  My kids are so sad. NOT!!!

Megan is finishing up a chapter and I told her when we are done with this chapter, then we are done with English for the year, even though she still has a chapter on punctuation and then reference books. She LOVES (I'm being sarcastic!) the reference book chapter because there is always a lesson on a Bible concordance\ dictionary. One year, I had her do her assignment using a concordance online, but it didn't work so well, so the next year, I went to the library and checked her out a huge Bible concordance. She loved me for that!! She thinks it is kind of funny that we won't get to that lesson this year!

As for Courtney, we just finished a chapter on adverbs and there are two chapters I would like to touch base on with her. The first one is on punctuation. I still see her making punctuation mistakes in her writing, so I feel we need to review those rules. I am going over two lessons a day and she isn't too fond of me for that! After this chapter is done, I want to hit the chapter on prepositions.  This is important in the 5th grade book, so I want to give her a little bit of information on them. We will then skip the reference book chapter and be done with her book.

As for math, Courtney is almost done with her 5th grade book. We are on the 2nd to last chapter, and the last chapter is all review. We will complete this book within the next two weeks.

Megan finished her 7th grade book last week, so we are hitting some lessons in the 8th grade book that have new information. We are going to start prealgebra in the fall with a different curriculum.

Christian actually finished his math book today! He learned so much this year in math. I am going to start him in 2nd grade math in the fall. He will do the same curriculum as the girls have done. It will be weird teaching through this whole series again!

Even though I have these great plans to finish everything within two weeks, things like a sick baby and a water fight happens between the kids, so I don't get to my plans. What do I do?? It is summer and I want them to enjoy it, but I also want to finish what we have started!










No comments:

Post a Comment