Sunday, April 9, 2017

I knew it!

After Micah's crazy allergic reaction last weekend, I called his allergist on Monday. Of course, they wanted me to bring him in to get allergy tested. (I kind of debated taking him because I think we can clearly say he is allergic to kiwi!)  The doctor wanted to test his kiwi, avocado, banana, and latex. Kiwi is part of the "latex fruit" family, so he ordered them all. While I was talking to the nurse, I asked if we could add on almond. I have noticed his face gets red if he drinks almond milk and he gets hives around his mouth if he eats almond butter. She said we could.

I went and got his blood drawn as he screamed. :( It was not very pleasant and he had a nice bruise to remember it by.

On Friday, the office called with his results. They said, "Well, we got the results back and the only things that showed up were almond and kiwi."

I responded with, "That is exactly what I thought."  I asked for his numbers and she said the kiwi was really high at 31.9 and his almond was at 6.88. According to this chart, his kiwi is "high and positive" and his almond is "moderately high and positive."  When we got him tested for dogs back in August, that was at 7.7. I have seen hives with almonds, kiwis, and dogs, so yes, it is positive that Micah will react!



She said that the doctor recommended have him go completely off kiwi (obviously!!!) and off all almonds and any other tree nuts because of cross-contamination.

I asked her about myself since we are still nursing. She said that they recommend all nursing moms to go off of everything too.  I didn't want to start an argument here, but I wanted to say, "I have been using almond milk  since I was pregnant with him and he has been fine."  I have noticed that if I drink it (and he gets it through my breastmilk) or if I cook with it, he is fine. If I feed him straight almond butter, he gets hives around his mouth and even on his bottom from his stool! 

But this brings up an interesting problem because I do want to wean this baby soon! What do I do when he is not getting breastmilk everyday? He can't drink cow's milk, almond milk, or rice milk. I can obviously still cook with these milks because I have been since he was born. Is he ok with getting milk from food? I mean, my other kids don't drink milk on a daily basis either, but they can at least drink smoothies and eat ice cream once in awhile. :)

So his list of allergens include cow's milk, wheat, eggs, peanuts, kiwi, tree nuts, and dogs. I have seen reactions (hives or something  else) or cow's milk, eggs, kiwi, almonds, and dogs. Could you imagine what would happen to this boy if I gave him peanuts??

And  we still don't know what caused this crazy reaction when he was 9 months old! (August 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment