Monday, April 3, 2017

Another allergic reaction!

We found out this weekend that in addition to peanuts, wheat, eggs, milk, and dogs, Micah is now allergic to kiwi!!



The other day when we were at a grocery store, Christian saw the kiwis and wanted to buy them. After thinking about it a little bit, I agreed to get some. I had purposely not given any to Micah because for a long time because we thought he was allergic to bananas, which is a latex fruit. Kiwis are also a latex fruit, so I just avoided them.

We have been back on bananas since Christmas time and he has done well, so I bought some kiwis and thought I would try them.

Yesterday morning, I made bacon and cut up all the kiwis and served them. I gave Micah one slice and he ate it right away. Of course, he asked for more! I didn't want to give him too many because I was still leery about having a reaction. I gave him a couple more and then stopped, even though he was still begging. About this time, I could see the area around his mouth turning red and he started getting really fussy.

After he was done eating, I went and gave him a quick bath. While he was crying, I washed him up quick and when I got him on his changing table to get him dressed, I noticed a few hives on his back.  I got his diaper on him quick because he was crying pretty hard now. I gave him his blanket and I sat down in his chair in his room. About a 1-2 minutes later, he started to cough. On his second cough, he threw up right into his blanket! What in the world????

I called Matt upstairs to help and to tell him that I thought Micah was having an allergic reaction to the kiwi. It was the only thing new I had given him.

We had to get to church, so I went and took a shower and Matt kept an eye on him. He had stopped crying once he threw up, but we were still being cautious. While I was in the shower, Matt said his eyes got red and watery and his nose just ran and ran and ran. Ok, this is obviously an allergic reaction!!

Once we were all ready and Micah was walking around and laughing, we headed to church. Even after we were there, I still noticed his eyes were bloodshot and watery.  His hives had gone away and he was back to normal for the most part.

He was fine the rest of the day. Last night, I had a friend tell me that kiwi is very allergenic. She said that when she ran a daycare, they could not give kids kiwis until they were three because of allergies!

Today, I called his allergist to discuss it with him.  He wants to have Micah tested for kiwis, bananas (again!), avocados, and latex. These are the latex fruits. I asked her if we could add almonds to the list because I have noticed his face turn red and hives when he eats almonds. I wonder if these are ALL related!

Oh, and don't forget his dog allergies!!

Now I need to make time to get him to the lab to get his blood drawn. I really want to get to the bottom of all his allergies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment