Monday, January 19, 2015

MLK, JR. Federal Holiday

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr, day. It is a federal holiday and none of our neighbor kids went to school, but we did! I found it pretty surprising that today in history class, our assignment was to read about the civil rights of the 1960's! I can't believe our history lined up so well with the calendar!

We spent about an hour this morning reading our assignment and then looking at pictures and footage online from the 1960's. We looked at pictures from the Montgomery bus boycott, Rosa Parks, sit-ins at lunch counters, the March on Washington, and also watched a short clip of King's "I Have a Dream" Speech. I think Megan and I could have sat and watched more, but we needed to get to our other subjects!  I also found a few chapter books at the library that I either want to read to the kids or have them read on their own. They are great historical fiction books that give a viewpoint from a 10-11 year at that time. 

We are getting closer and closer to modern times! Pretty soon, our study of American history will be over for a few years. Wow! I have learned so much! I hope the girls have too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment