Monday, September 25, 2017

Trying something new!

After homeschooling for six years, it is hard to break some habits. One habit I have developed over the years is sitting down with the kids when it is their time and going over their previous assignment, fixing everything until it is 100%, putting a star on their paper, and going over the next assignment.  This has worked great for many years. I can go over with them what they did wrong and make sure they understood everything. As much as I would love to continue doing this with each one of them with each assignment, I am just running out of time in my day.

Matt and I talked one night how I could manage to get through more schoolwork in a day. I said one solution would be to start correcting papers outside of class. Sometimes it doesn't take long to correct papers in class, but other days it takes awhile. If I could correct them at night and then hand it back to the kids to go correct on their own, it might save me some time. He says this is what teachers at a public school would do. I said, "Yes, they would, but then the students just throw their papers away after they see their grade and don't learn from their mistakes." I really want the kids to correct their mistakes. Matt says I should give it back to them and they need to try again. If they are still having trouble, then I can sit down with them and help, but he thinks this should be done outside of class time.

Matt also wants me to start giving them grades. He said this is something that they should probably get used to. The only grades I would previous give them was on tests, which we only had in spelling, English, and math. He wants me to give daily grades.  I found an online gradebook and just set it up for both girls for math and English. I thought we would start there!

Let's see if we can teach this old dog new tricks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment