Friday, March 10, 2017

I have a screamer and an escape artist!

There is one thing we have worked on in our house this week. Micah and his screaming!! He has learned that if Christian is picking on him, if he can't get to what he wants, or if just can't have what he wants, he screams!! And he screams loud!

At first, I thought it was  Christian always picking on him, so I got mad at Christian quite a bit in the beginning of the week. But sometimes, Micah was screaming and Christian wasn't doing anything! Then I changed my ways. Now it was time to get mad at Micah. (Even though Christian was still teasing him 50% of the time.)

In order to get what he wants, we have been working on the sign language for "please" and "more." He can do "more" really well, but we are definitely still working on "please." 

Today Megan, Micah, and I were in Walmart getting a few groceries. Grapes were super cheap, so I picked up three bags and put them in the cart. Mr. Micah decided at that moment that he wanted those grapes! He turned around and started pulling them out of the bag! I said, "You can't eat those yet, we haven't paid for them!." The only thing he understood was that I was pulling the grapes out of his hands and taking them away. This did not settle well with him and he proceeded to scream at me in the middle of the store. And of course, I could see people staring at me!

We made it to the checkout and had the cashier ring up the grapes. Now, we have a rule in our house that you don't get your way by crying, but in this case, I knew I had to do something. Once the grapes were rung up, I got one out of the bag and asked Micah if he wanted one. Of course he did! Once I let him bite it off, he turned the crying off and was fine. Until that one was gone! Then he started back up again!! Megan sat there and fed him grapes until the groceries were paid for and we were ready to leave. Luckily, once we got to the car, he was calmed down and didn't scream at us anymore. Usually I wouldn't do this, but I knew it was a pretty easy solution.

He is definitely going to keep us on our toes!

(Here is an example. This afternoon, we were all in the kitchen looking at something on the computer and last I knew, Micah was just wondering around the kitchen like he always done. Pretty soon, we heard him talking and it sounded kind of muffled.  I looked at Matt and asked him, "Do you know where Micah is?" He looked at me and said, "He was just here."  The noise was coming from the bathroom/ laundry room/ garage area.  I looked over there and saw that the door to the laundry room was shut, so I thought he was in there and accidently shut the door and couldn't get out. I looked in there and no Micah! But I could still hear him. The bathroom door was open and he wasn't in there. The only place left was the garage. Matt opened the garage door and there was Micah on the step- out in the garage!! He had a soccer ball in his hand and was saying, "ball, ball." Little stinker!

The door to the garage has a spring on it, so it will automatically shut when somebody opens it, but sometimes it doesn't latch. It must not have latched, and he opened it, saw the soccer ball, and proceeded to go get the ball. He even had to sit down and go down a step INTO the garage. Then when he tried to get back into the house with the ball, he couldn't get the door open or up the step. And that is where we found him.  Little stinker!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment