Monday, May 9, 2016

Garage Sale Week!

We were at a graduation yesterday and as I sat and was talking to one of matt's old neighbors about homeschooling, I was thinking about all the life skills that my girls have learned this semester.  We have only been able to get through math, English, and spelling on a daily basis; we haven't done any formal history, geography, science, writing, or reading.  Micah has been a very challenging baby!

I always tell people that even though we didn't get through these subjects, my children are learning in other ways. Just last weekend, Courtney and Christian were outside making mud bricks. Why? I have no idea, but it brought up the idea of pioneers living in sod houses! What would you build YOUR house out of if you were in the middle of nowhere with no trees around?? What happens when it rains on your sod house? Do you live with critters? How did you break the sod up? How did you build your roof? Many questions were answered last week!

But even though we haven't done these subjects, are my children still learning?? Absolutely! My children have learned how to run a home. They have learned how to cook, even Christian can make a pot of chili now! They have learned how to do laundry and clean bathrooms. They have learned how to take care of a baby and how to be a mom. Lately, Courtney has even changed a few diapers.  We have learned what to do when a baby poops on you in the middle of church or what to do when he spits up on the floor at a graduation party! They have watched me bathe him many times and just love on him.  All the children have learned to distract him and calm him down when he is screaming.  My children have learned to help others in times of need with a smile on their face. They are not afraid to ask, "Can I help you in any way?" I still have a hard time offering help to people!

We are going to have another big lesson this weekend in putting on a garage sale! Our neighborhood puts on a garage sale every year and every year, I see all the cars that drive past and think I should have a garage sale next year. Well, I am going to this year!! Last week when we got our upstairs painted, I had to move a lot of stuff away from the walls. I told myself that instead of putting half this stuff back, we are going to have a garage sale to get rid of it!

I have been hanging onto girl stuff for quite a long time now because I wanted more children.  Now that we have four, I feel I can get rid of it. (If we have more, that is fine, but we have more than enough stuff!) I got rid of quite a bit of stuff before Micah was born, and I need to keep going! My girls are definitely done with all their princess and horse items. I also have a couple Rubbermaid containers full of old girl shoes and old girl winter coats. I know these might not sell right now, but they just might!! I also have old books and just a variety of other items that we need to get rid of.

I told the girls that if they sell any old toys, then they can have the money. Anything else is mine!

I also told them that if we had time, they should make some cookies or rice crispy bars and sell those too! Matt suggested we buy a couple cases of water or Gatorade also. We will see if this happens!

Are the girls learning anything by putting on a garage sale?? Absolutely!! First of all, they are learning the basics of putting one on.  They are going to help me price everything and sell it this coming weekend. I may even put them in charge of the cash box. This would involve adding the items up and giving change.  What a great lesson in economics!

So again, even though we aren't learning history and science, we are definitely learning other skills that are needed in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment