Thursday, August 13, 2015

28 Week Pregnancy Checkup!

28 weeks....wow, we are in our third trimester!!

I went in to see my midwife yesterday for my 28 week appointment. This was also the appointment where I did my gestational diabetes test.  This time it was a little different, I refused to drink the glucola! I talked to her about this at my 24 week appointment and we agreed that I could drink apple juice instead of the glucola. I don't want any dextrose or food dyes in my body when I have been avoiding them for the last year and a half!

I found that since grape juice has a lot more sugar per ounce, I drank that instead. I drank 10 ounces of grape juice and an hour later, they drew my blood.  I was not feeling the best when I went in.  In the end, my number was a 63.  The nurse said that normal fasting blood sugar is between 70 and 100! I am almost hypoglycemic! I knew my number would be low, but not that low!! The nurse just told me to keep up on the protein, which I know. I also know to not eat 50 grams of sugar at one time and to watch the carb intake.

My midwife also checked my thyroid again, which was fine.  My hemoglobin was another area of concern, so she tested that too. My number this time was 11.3.  Last time I had it checked, it was 11.4. I guess I will stay on my Vitamin B complex!

My platelets were also where they usually are.  This time they were 107,000. Normal range is 150,000-400,000.  I am glad they are above 100,000!

Other than these blood tests, my midwife wants me to get a birth plan written. I think I will just print the same one I used for the last three children.  She also told me that hospitals do not weigh the babies right away after birth anymore, but usually wait an hour or so.  They want skin-to-skin contact for awhile, which makes sense.  She also encouraged me that I can do it without an epidural again, even though 95% of moms at my hospital get an epidural.  She said she has even worked with nurses up there who have never seen a natural birth! Amazing! And I can TOTALLY do it again!

My midwife also mentioned that I might start having contractions, and that it is completely normal. I told her I have had some tightening in my abdomen and she said those are probably contractions already! As I have been paying attention more the last 24 hours, I have had quite a few. She said as long as I don't have 5-6 an hour, I am fine. If I do have that many, I am supposed to call.  Honestly, they will probably just tell me to drink some water and sit down for awhile! I have been through this before! 

I have also gained 20 pounds and my baby is measuring bigger than he is supposed to be! I am 27 1/2 weeks pregnant and am measure 30 cm! Yikes! The little guys heartbeat was at 152.

Now I start going every other week until we hit week 36.  This is pretty exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment