Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Eye appointments and insurance!

Megan has been having trouble with her eye and even though I pretty much know what is going on, I think it is about time I take her in anyway to get her eyes checked.  I know I took her in last summer, so it has been about a year. I think she sees great, but I just want to get her in every year anyway! I also need to get Courtney and myself in!

I got a recommendation for a local optometrist from another homeschooling mom (it's her husband!), so I called his business and asked if they were in-network for us, which he was.  I then proceeded to ask what our insurance would cover and she sent me to call my insurance.  I then found out that if our kids get their eyes checked at their yearly physical with their pediatrician, then it is covered 100% because it is preventative, BUT if I want to take them to an optometrist or an ophthalmologist for a more in-depth exam, it will go towards our deductible!!  I know we are going to meet our deductible this year, but we still want to keep costs low. 

After I found this out, I called back the place I had called earlier and explained the situation. I then asked how much it was for a eye exam, she told me $126!!! WHAT?? If I wanted to order new contacts, it would be another $59 for me! That is almost $200!!

I was so shocked because last year I paid $20 for an eye exam a Visionworks at the mall!!

I then called around to a local Walmart because I figured it would be cheaper. It was $69 for an eye exam and an additional $32 for contacts. That is more like it! This doctor is in-network, so it would be applied to our deductible, but I have no idea who she is!

I got a recommendation from another friend and called her place. Their eye exams were $144 and another $60 for a contact exam!! This would be another $200, but they were also in-network.

I then called back Visionworks from last year.  They do not take our insurance, but are running a special now which is $29 for an eye exam and then another $58 if I wanted to order contacts.

So here is my dilemma?
Do I...
1.  Go where it is cheap (Walmart, Visionworks) and just take any doctor who is available? I did this last year and was not too happy.
2. Continue to get recommendations until I find a reasonable priced doctor?
3. Pay an arm and a leg for a eye exam with somebody who was recommended?? I could build my deductible up now, so it's less to pay at the end of the year when we will have a nice expensive hospital bill??

I was out talking to my neighbor last night and we were talking about this. She said she had used the doctor that I called at Walmart and was very pleased with her.  She said she would highly recommend her, so I think I am going to call out there and get an appointment for Megan. If I like her, I will have Courtney and myself see her. If I don't like her, I guess we will continue searching!

Why can't Dr. Cole at Target have my insurance? She was covered by our old insurance and she was great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment