Monday, May 4, 2015

New School Plan!

While we were on our spring break, I had some time to think about school.  I am now doing two Sonlight cores a day, which is a lot of reading, plus language arts for both girls plus the daily math, English, and spelling.  I needed a system to get through all this material, but yet not go crazy!

Before our break, I would just kind of get done what we had time for and try to keep it all lined up according to days.  I would try to finish all of "day one" material before moving onto "day two," but sometimes this didn't work out too well.

Because it wasn't working out too well AND I need some time to spend with Christian each day, I came up with an "A" day and a "B" day.  When I student taught at Omaha North, we were on a block schedule and had "A" and "B" days.  It gave the students 90 minutes in each class and alternated days for different classes.  I thought this might work!

I sat down one night and divided up my Sonlight material.  No matter what, we need to have math, English, and spelling everyday, but I am not in a rush to get through our other stuff.  I decided that Megan's stuff will constitute most of "A" day.  We will read her read-aloud in the morning and do her language arts that same day.  We will then do science after lunch.  As for "B" day, it is mostly Courtney's material.  In the morning, we will read Megan's history reading (no time on "A" day) and then do Courtney's language arts in the morning.  After lunch, we will do Courtney's read aloud and history.  This spreads things out, but now I know what I need to get done every day! This also clears some of my day up so I can have some time with Christian!

We have been doing this for two days now and it seems to be working.  I know exactly what I have to teach the next day and am not doing extra preparations when I don't have to! I know when I need to get things ready and when I don't! It also gives the girls an extra day to get some of their assignments done, which I am sure they appreciate!

It may spread our curriculum out longer than I planned, but like I always say, I would rather slow down and learn it well, then rush through it and not get anything out of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment