Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Helplessness!

Matt and I have had quite a few discussions lately on the topic of "helplessness."  He watched a video on YouTube that sparked the topic and this video even said that our public schools are teaching our kids to be helpless.  They do this by spoon-feeding the kids everything they need to know. The problem with this is when they get out on their own, they are unable to think by themselves and do things independently.

On the other hand, this is one goal we have with homeschooling our children.  You are not helpless. If you need help, yes, I will help you, but I will not do it for you. Sometimes I catch myself doing this because it is easier, but in the long run, I am not training them for the future. Kids need to be able to do things on their own and solve their own problems.

I saw this picture today and it made me think of these discussions!

No comments:

Post a Comment