Sunday, May 24, 2015

Is it fair...or not?

Last week, every school district in Omaha got out except for Millard.  I know a quite a few of our homeschooling friends who finished up school too.  Are we done yet? Nope! And not even close! (I have also technically told them that since they would technically go to a Millard school, they wouldn't be out until next Thursday!) Honestly, they aren't really complaining much and I am thankful. I am just itching to be done and get summer started!!

Should I just finish the kids up where they are or finish their books and get them ready for next year? I am more of the latter mindset! Did any of these other kids in public school get to take TWO vacations this school year? NOPE! We went to Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana last September for about 2 1/2 weeks and then just a month ago, we spent a 1 1/2 weeks travelling to the Grand Canyon and back.  We do not take any school books along on these trips, so that only set us behind further.

Here is where we stand on our main subjects:
Megan:
Math- 40 lessons left until we finish the book
Spelling- Three weeks left until a good stopping point
English- 11 lessons left until we finish the book

Courtney:
Math- 22 lessons left until we finish the book
Spelling- Three weeks left until the end.
English- We are at the end of a chapter and are ready to take a test. I would like to do the next section, but it's another 25 lessons. (There are two sections left and we are not going to finish this book, which I am ok with.)

I definitely want to finish math, spelling, and English (Megan) between the two girls. My rule is that they need to have the current level finished before starting the next level. For example, I would like Megan done with her 5th grade English book before moving onto the 6th grade book.

For all our other material, we use Sonlight curriculum. This includes history, geography, read-alouds, language arts (reading, writing), and science. We are currently going to start week 6 out of 36 weeks of lesson plans.  We are definitely not going to finish this!! I just need to get to a good stopping point between all the books, which is pretty impossible! We may just need to stop where we are and pick things back up in the fall! I think it will be impossible to keep doing this summer with our various activities that I have planned.  We are going to have a baby in the fall, which means there will be a break from school for awhile. I think we just get done what we can get done and if that means we do this all next year and even into the following year, it might just have to be what happens!

So in the end, I think we will gradually finish our subjects until all we have left to do on a daily basis is math! I think we can handle that!!



No comments:

Post a Comment