Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A girl after my own heart. :)

In history, we have been reading about events leading up to the Civil War and Megan is loving it! And I am not lying!

We were reading a section today out of our book and I wanted to stop and have math with Courtney, but when I mentioned stopping, I got told, "Mom, don't stop, it's soooo interesting!"

Do you know what we were learning about?

pro-slavery vs. anti-slavery
north vs. south
"Uncle Tom's Cabin"
The Missouri Compromise of 1820
The Kansas Nebraska Act of 1854
Bloody Kansas
Senate/ House of Representatives and how they wanted to keep everything equal
Just to name a few. :)

After we were done reading (because I didn't stop to math with Courtney), Megan said, "Mom, I think my favorite war is the Civil War."  Really??

This is also the same girl that when we were in Washington DC could NOT WAIT to get to the Lincoln Memorial!! We had seen Ford's Theatre that morning and all afternoon, I kept hearing, "When are we going to the Lincoln Memorial??? Can we go there NOW??"

When we finally got there, she told me that she wanted to memorize the Gettysburg Address!!  (We had been at the Gettysburg Battlefield a few days earlier.)

She has also told me that Abraham Lincoln is her favorite president. :)

I think it's pretty neat that she has such an interest in this at such a young age!

Honestly, I told her that Congress at that time is a lot like our Congress today!  Caught in a stalemate because nobody can agree!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment