Thursday, July 18, 2013

Updates

1. Christian is doing much better. Like always, once he is very lethargic, looks terrible, and gets a fever, you know bronchitis is there. This happened yesterday morning- no wonder we were up half the night! Yesterday we kept giving him albuterol and by the end of the day, he was a lot better! He slept the entire night last night!!  He usually gets over it pretty quickly. Now to keep it from coming back!

2. School is going good. We are taking our time and we have gotten through two days worth of work already. 

We started science yesterday and I just had the girls pick an animal and research it a little bit.  Megan picked an African lion and Courtney picked a ladybug. These are two fascinating animals! And Megan thought it was the best little project ever!

Side Note: When I was out doing some errands yesterday, I saw something that looked like a lady bug on my car, so I took a picture and showed it to Courtney when I got home. Here is what it was: (This is not the exact picture I took, but one off the Internet)


It was a milkweed beetle! (Did you know that ladybugs are really beetles? And there are about 5,000 different species of them! )

3.  We started our new curriculum in math. We are using Rod and Staff math 2 for Courtney and Rod and Staff Math 4 for Megan.  This math is a lot different than Horizons and I actually have a teacher's manual that is pretty easy to follow, but you can definitely tell it is made for a classroom setting and I need to improvise a little bit.  This program concentrates heavily on basics, so we are learning simple addition with both girls. I know it's redundant, but I felt that this is what we were missing in Horizons.  We will give this a try for a year and see how we like it.  Both girls seem to be receptive to it, but again, we have only been through two lessons.

4.  Along with school starting, I have also put myself in charge of the chore chart this year.  Instead of doing chores at night (when they were not getting done), we are doing chores in the morning. I also gave the girls some new chores.  For example, Courtney gets to unload the dishwasher and Megan gets to load it! You know how much of a habit doing dishes is for me, it is so odd to hand this over!  They also need to clean up their bedroom and the bathroom in the morning.  This is mostly for Courtney, I was tired of seeing dirty clothes in her bed.  Again, they are doing good with them, but it is only the second day. I am sure they will start complaining eventually!

5. On a different note than school, I am finally wearing contacts again!!! I ordered some trial contacts that would not cause my GPC to come back and I have been wearing them and it has been great! I can only wear them an hour or so a day because I haven't worn contacts in over a month, so I have to ease back into them.  Yesterday I had them in and Courtney said, "Mom, you don't even look like yourself. Why don't you have your glasses on?"

No comments:

Post a Comment