Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Courtney's New Diet

I went in and met with Dr. Mallory today to talk about Courtney's test results. 

Her doctor recommended that we stay away from gluten, eggs, peanuts, and dairy for the next 3 months. Yikes!  She has a high sensitivity to these foods and I need to give her stomach time to heal.

It's funny though because she's only had a reaction when I've given her whole grain bread, never eggs, milk, cheese, or peanut butter. My thoughts are 1. maybe she's just so used to her stomach hurting after she eats that she doesn't even notice it  2. she's really getting sick and not telling me 3. she's not sick at all, but then why would her numbers be so high on her test?

The doctor also said that she is highly sensitive to these foods because this is what she eats all the time. Every day, she has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. Everyday she has cheesesticks. Dr. Mallory says that this is her body's way of telling her that it has had enough of that food and that it wants something different (by building up a sensitivity to it and making her sick).

She said that after 3 months and when her body is healed, she can go back on these foods, but will need to rotate her meals. She cannot eat the same thing day after day, but every four days or so. 

After I met with Dr. Mallory, I stopped over at HyVee and talked to their dietician for awhile. She helped me pick out some food that Courtney can eat and kind of get me started. I am going to meet with her next week for some more information. 

I am also going to put Christian on this same diet (sorry Christian!). I can either get a food intolerance test done for him, which would include SOMEHOW getting two vials of blood out of him or try him on this diet first.  The diet may be the less painful. 

Anybody have any advice on what to feed my children??

No comments:

Post a Comment