Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

1. We are having great fun watching butterflies come out of their chrysallises. We ordered cateripillars about 3 weeks ago and they are finally adult butterflies. My sister-in-law gave Megan a butterfly "home", so they are in their right now. How fun AND educational! (BTW-How do they do that??)

2. Megan finally finished her essay last night that we struggled with the other night for 2 hours!! Today I read through it and made some minor changes and she is going to write her final draft for tomorrow. When I was done, she said, "Mom, that doesn't look so bad." Last week, her essay was way out of order, so I had to really fix it. This week, it was good. There were no arrows at all. :) I told her that it was good because she put everything on an outline to start and then it was already in order. She just grinned. She admitted that it really helped.

3. I can't believe we only have 5 weeks of school left. Of the 30 books or so we started with at the beginning of the year, we have 4 left! We have read-aloud for the last 4 weeks of school. I'm sure we will finish it before then. Megan has 3 readers left and I'm sure she will read ahead in all of those.

4. I have Courtney's language arts ordered for next year and I'm going to keep checking on ebay for the other sets I want. They have already told me that they want to start them as soon as they come! HA!

5. Courtney is starting to read books! We are so proud of her. I think she has learned enough words that she is able to get to the point where she can read out of books. She may not know every word, but she has the skills to be able to sound the words out. yay Courtney!

6. This week we are working on "ee" words with her, like bee, tree, three, free, fee, etc. She caught on pretty quickly yesterday. I have a subscription to enchantedlearning.com and I pull many things off of there. She absolutely does not like her reading book, she cried the last time I got it out. I think she likes hands-on activities and that book is not hands-on. I have also had to pull a few creative activities out of my head, so she can practice her words. She is also picking words up from everywhere! The world is coming alive!

6. The girls had to remind me today again that it was time to do laundry. They think it is funny whenever they cannot get their clothes hamper shut because there are so many dirty clothes in it.

7. I'm so glad I give piano lessons on Tuesday. It is a great excuse to clean this house! It has become a routine for us, so the kids don't even complain much. The whole first floor gets cleaned and I even vaccuum. How can the house get so messy in one week?

8. We are going through the book of "Esther" in Bible class and the girls are having a blast. We were only supposed to read one chapter yesterday, but I got "read some more!", so I read three. Now today, we don't have Bible to do! It's nice to work ahead one day and have some down time.

9. We are going to make Megan start doing her homework right after school is over. This is usually while I am working with Courtney. It worked much better yesterday, we didn't have a fit like we usually have, let's see if it works for the last 5 weeks.

10. I have given the girls 20 minutes more of playtime than I have said, time to get Megan to her homework and to work with Courtney on her reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment