Monday, April 9, 2012

Summer School/ Readers/ Math/ Butterflies

Megan informed me today that she wants to keep going to school over the summer.

What?? I thought we would take about a 3 month break!

I guess if she really wants to...she said she really enjoys school and wants to keep learning. She did inform me that she wants to keep learning everything except for math, handwriting, and language arts. That leaves Bible, read-alouds, readers, science, and history.

That made me feel good. :)

Readers: Today we started a new chapter book for our readers. She is supposed to read this to me for the next two weeks. She read me the first chapter today and I put it away. Next thing I know, she has the book out of the cupboard and is reading it to herself! I asked her what she was doing and she replied, "Mom, I just have to know what happens!" Then she proceeds to finish the book. Two weeks ago, she did the same thing (read the book to herself before we could read it ouloud), so I had told her specifically that we were going to read this one outloud. That plan failed! Are we ever going to read books outloud again? I am definitely getting her the advanced readers for next year!

Math: Megan also informed me today that she wants to finish math earlier than planned. We have 27 lessons left and six weeks of school. This almost works out perfectly. (5 lessons every week and we're done in a little over 5 weeks). But her plan is to do 2 lessons each day so she can be done in about 3 weeks! Obviously, math isn't very challenging to her and I think she could easily manage two lessons a day. This might be an option!

Butterflies: Has anybody ever had caterpillars that have turned into chrysallises and then turned into butterflies? Megan's aunt gave her a butterfly kit last year for her birthday and we ordered the caterpillars last week to watch them grow. The caterpillars are already hanging upside down in their cup and are inside chrysallises. This has been so fun to watch! Pretty soon we are going to have butterflies! Then it may be onto lady bug land!

No comments:

Post a Comment