Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Weekend

Easter weekend has come and gone. We celebrated the resurrection of Jesus. As Courtney's Cubbie verses says, "He is not here, he has risen!" And we are so thankful!!!

This year I decided to be a bit crafty for Easter. Not because I have a huge desire to be crafty, because honestly, I don't. I don't like art, I don't like crafts. I don't mind doing crafts though when I am given the instructions and they are simple enough. My kids really enjoying doing crafts, so I thought we could find something to do.


Earlier in the week, I started going through my craft books and found a couple of ideas. I found a way to make an African basket by weaving construction paper (Megan would enjoy) and I found a craft on how to make chicks out of egg cartons (Courtney would enjoy), so I gathered up everything I would need and we made Saturday our craft day. I also had had to make a salad and a dessert for our Easter gathering, so I wanted to do something different for those too.


Saturday came and we got busy with our crafts. Megan helped with the weaving on the baskets and we were so proud of the baskets when they were done! I know it would've been a whole lot easier to just go the store and buy them for $1, but it was totally worth it when Megan said, "Mom, I am having so much fun doing this!" I almost didn't want to give them away today! Once we got the hang of it, we made three in about an hour. Megan was "Snippy", "Gluey", and "Weavy." Such big helpers! Courtney ended up helping me on the last one. We made these for our cousins that were going to be at the family party on Sunday.

Next we made the chicks out of egg cartons. These turned out, but I didn't think they were as cute as the baskets. We had to paint them yellow after the glue dried. I don't have a final shot of them completed, but while Megan was painting them, she kept saying that she was drowing them in mustard. They are on the paper plate, if you want to see what they looked like.

We then put grass in the baskets and made them into Easter baskets. We put jelly beans in the back parts of the chicks and then put those in the Easter baskets too. I thought it all turned out very cute!




My last project was to make cupcakes. I had found two different kinds. One set of cupcakes was going to have butterflies on them, the other set was going to have frogs (or "raw, raw" as Christian says." I kind of had to improvise for the frogs because I couldn't find the right candy, but it worked.



The frog cupcakes:


The butterfly cupcakes:




And of course, there was sneaky Christian who I caught reaching up over the counter and taking a licorice antenna off a butterfly. I looked over and my butterfly had one antenna and Christian has red licorice in his mouth. Pretty funny little man!

So our craft day was over. We never did get to dying Easter eggs, but we sure had fun weaving, painting, and making our cupcakes into animals!


No comments:

Post a Comment