Saturday, April 14, 2012

Next Year

I have already begun to think about what I want to use as curriculum for school next year. I am sold on Sonlight curriculum! Megan and I have had so much fun this year and she has learned so much that I want to do it again next year. I also have not found anything else that I really liked or is comparable to Sonlight.

Here is my plan:
Courtney- Sonlight Language Arts/ Readers for Grade 1
Horizons math for kindergarten
Maybe Sonlight core Pre-k/ K (intro to people around the world and the way things work)

Megan- Sonlight Core D and Language Arts with Advanced Readers (roughly 3rd grade, beginning of American history until 1850, she would finish the 2nd half in 4th grade)
Horizons math for 3rd grade
(If you were wondering, "core" includes bible, history, geography, and read-alouds)

I also want to do Sonlight science. I am thinking about getting a set that is for kindergraten through 2nd grade. It is biology, botony, and physics. This is their first science set in their series and even though Megan would be in 3rd grade and know some of this, I think it would be ok to do it over again with Courtney. I want her to get a solid foundation of science in biology before moving onto other sciences. Megan has also gotten bits and pieces of science over the last three years, so this would actually be something structured for us to go through.

I will probably have Courtney join Megan for Bible time again out of her lesson plans. We will have to see if I decide to do a Core for Courtney or not.

Courtney would definitely need a handwriting book, but maybe not Megan. We have been learning our cursive letters this semester, so she may just continue that next year.

We are also required to do health by the State of Nebraska. Abeka Health worked fine for that. Again, Courtney could join us and we could use the 3rd grade book.

With this all figured out, the next step is to start collecting it! If I buy all my curriculum from Sonlight.com, it is very expensive. I bought Megan's set last year off ebay for half the price. I am already on the lookout on ebay for material for next year.

Today I bought my first item- Language arts plus readers for grade one. It lists for $157 on Sonlight.com and I got it for $56! (Plus $4 shipping and handling) It is a brand new set and I don't think it has even been used. Awesome! I am going to have to hide it when it gets here so I won't be tempted to get started with it! Courtney was begging me again today to have school! On a Saturday!!

I am sure much more will be up for auction now that we are getting close to the end of the school year. Hopefully I can find everything I want for a decent price!

No comments:

Post a Comment