Saturday, February 27, 2016

Ode to the Baby Swing!

Some things in life just do not last, especially things that have mechanical moving parts.

You might laugh, but I got kind of sappy today when we said good-bye to our baby swing that we have had for over twelve years. It was done, it was broken, out of commission, and it was not going to work ever again, no matter how hard I wanted it to swing another baby.

We bought our baby swing the day we brought Megan home from the hospital. She was pretty fussy in the hospital and the nurses told us she loved the baby swing in the nursery. We hadn't bought one beforehand because people told us we wouldn't need one. Boy were they wrong!! Megan continued to be fussy at home and some days, she lived in that swing morning and night!

I remember putting her in the swing at the foot of our bed and turning it on at bedtime because she wouldn't settle down and go to sleep . We would turn the swing on and let it do its magic. Matt and I would wake up a couple of hours later, and she would still be swinging. I would often use it during the day too just to keep her settled down.

Megan at 3 days old.

Courtney did not need the swing so much because she was not the fussy baby like Megan was in the beginning. I think we used it for her, but not so much for our sanity as with Megan!

Courtney at 8 days old.

Then there was Christian was was also VERY fussy as a baby. I am not sure who spent more time in the swing, Christian or Megan!

Christian at about 6 weeks old.

And so when we brought Micah home from the hospital, we assumed our swing would still work. He was being fussy the first night we were home and we knew the swing performed magic! Matt went to the basement at 1 am, brought all the pieces up to Micah's room, and put it all together. After he turned it on, he said the motor just ground and it made an ugly noise. It was obviously broken and would not swing anymore. I was sad! Not just because the swing was broke, but because I had a fussy baby that I couldn't put in the swing!!

A couple nights later, Matt went to Walmart and got a new one. We were parents that were desperate for some sleep.  (Matt actually bought one, put it together, and we used it for about a week until somebody borrowed us theirs. Matt took the new one back apart and it went back to Walmart!)

I had to put Micah in our swing, even though it didn't work anymore.

Micah at about two months old.

Today, we said good bye to my swing. Babies R Us held a "Great Trade In Event" today, so we were able to take in something "old" and get a 25% off coupon for something "new." Matt was planning to just throw this swing away, but I thought we should at least get something for it! So we took the 25% and got the money off a new carseat for Micah.

Megan taking the swing into Babies R Us! I thought it was appropriate that she carried it in!

Good bye old swing, you did us well!!!

When we have to get rid of our bouncy seats, our crib, our glider, or anything else I have had since Megan, I will be sad too!!










No comments:

Post a Comment