Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Naps are important!

This morning we were at the gym nice and early. Like 8:45 early!

I wanted to go to Pilates at 9, Courtney had scooters class at 9:30 and Megan had ballet at 9:30 too. After all these classes were done around 10:15, I was going to go put thier suits on and take them swimming until 12. I knew Christian would not last in the childcare for 3 hours, so we were just going to make it work out somehow.

After Megan's dance was over, I went over to Christian's room to check on him. I fully expected him to be breaking down since he had been up since 7. No, he was just fine and I was going to let him, but then Courtney got ahead of me and he saw her. Now I had to pick him up. It's alright though. I told the workers that I would go get him a snack and then bring him back, maybe he will take a nap then.

I put him in his stroller and gave him some crackers. We went to the locker rooms, got dressed, covered everybody in in suntan lotion, and went out to the pool. I think it was already 90 degrees by 10:45 am! I had Christian in the shade, so he was fine. He was having his snack and was happy. About 11, I noticed he had this glazed look over his eyes. It was pretty hot out there and I had no intentions of getting him in the pool because of his fair skin, so I told the girls that I was going to take him back to childcare.

I got him back there and by this time, they had moved rooms. I checked him back in and crossed my fingers. Is he going to scream for them since it is naptime? Is he going to be ok? I left him anyway and went back outside.

At 12, I picked him up again and he was a very happy boy, they said he was great. Apparently, the little snack had perked him up, plus the new room to explore. I thought that he would surely fall asleep on the way home. Nope, all the way home, he was wide awake.

My next plan was to get him lunch and then put him down, I just couldn't believe he didn't fall asleep on the way home. I fed him lunch and he kept signing, "done" and "read books." I took that as he wanted to read books and go to bed. I took him upstairs and went through our bedtime routine. I put him in his crib, even though he didn't look tired, and said good night. For 20 minutes, he cried up there! This was unusual, he usually goes right to sleep.

I went and got him and tried to feed him lunch again. Again, "All done." Ok, now what? I put him on the floor to play and he just was off. He was cranky and didn't quite know what he wanted. Eventually he found the pillow we use for nursing and he knew exactly what he wanted! He got the pillow and drug it over to me (this is a king size pillow, so it's bigger than he is!). I could tell that this would do the trick, so I nursed him and he went right to sleep!

After an hour nap, we were much better.

Maybe I should stay home tomorrow and let him nap. Or leave the gym a little bit earlier, so we're not staying in the childcare for 3 hours. It's just too hot to go swimming in the afternoons, so I like to let the kids go in the morning before it gets to be 115 heat index.

And this was his only nap of the day. One hour and he was up at 7 am and went to bed at 9 tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment