Tuesday, April 3, 2018

It's been a long time!

I think I am falling off the "blog" bandwagon. I haven't blogged in about two weeks.  It isn't that I don't want to, I just get to the end of my day and don't have the energy anymore. I spend my time in the evenings grading papers and by the time I am done, I just want to go to bed. But guess what? Tonight I am not grading papers! Tomorrow is Wednesday, and we are only having two hours of school, therefore, I don't need to have anything graded for tomorrow. Of course, I will spend tomorrow night grading everything for Thursday.

We have been chugging away in school lately. Just last week, we hit the midterm in Megan's and Courtney's math books. I know, it is kind of late in the school year to be hitting a midterm, but that is just where we are! I know there are only about two months of school left, and there is NO WAY we are going to get through our books before then. My children get the lovely privilege of going to summer school at the Ruwe Home Academy! I don't mind stopping history or science at the end of May, but we will keep plowing through our math and English until we are done.  I always like to start the next school year at the correct grade level.  I also know that I do *not* need to finish our books, but I like to. I find that there is material at the end that is important.  Last year, I had to just stop where we were because we went on vacation. I think we will keep going this year! Christian just hit lesson 70 of 170 lessons in math- 100 more to go!

As for English, Megan and Courtney are getting closer to the end of their books, much closer than math! I have been skipping the writing lessons to do later, so it looks like we are further than we are.
It is also nice that English has 40 few lessons than math!  We have been using Spectrum Writing books all year, and the girls are on the last assignment, which is a persuasive essay. When these books are done, I will go back through our English books and do the writing assignments.

As for history, we recently switched to Mystery of History Vol. 2, and the girls are enjoying it! We finished our Heart of Dakota Curriculum, and it is already sold and out the door. I am not sure if I will use Heart of Dakota again, but it was perfect for the last couple of years. Along with Mystery of History, we are reading the literature from Sonlight Curriculum. I really missed all the great literature of Sonlight, so we are back! (I used Sonlight for five years before switching to Heart of Dakota, and now I am switching back!) At the end of May, I will put history on the shelf until next fall. Megan has mentioned that she wants to keep doing it through the summer, so we will see what she decides.

Courtney and Christian are also enjoying their new science curriculum. I was teaching them together out of an Apologia book, but it was too hard with such an age gap. Courtney is now working through Biology on her own, and Christian is doing Earth Science with some help from me. Even though Courtney told me she would rather do NO science, she is still learning quite a bit! She is on a 6 week unit study of plants, and today she learned about ferns. I don't know nothing about ferns, so I am glad I get to help her through it. She is not as thrilled about learning about ferns as I am, though. Christian LOVES earth science. Our next unit is on weather, and he is so excited. This boy could watch the weather station all day if you would let him, but since we don't have cable anymore, that isn't an option. :(  He is currently wrapping up a unit on the planet earth, which includes volcanoes and earthquakes. This is perfect for him!

As for Micah, he is FINALLY to the stage where he can entertain himself during the day. He likes to take our bucket of crayons and put them in the blender and make "apple juice." He will then get a cup for everybody and give us "apple juice", which is really a cup of crayons.  He will also get out my pans and make "sausages" with the same crayons. I love how he plays pretend these days. The other day, he had taken his baby outside for a walk. It was nice out and the baby only had his underwear on. I was inside on the computer and all of the sudden, he came running in saying, "diaper change, diaper change!" He went up to his room and got a diaper and took it outside to the baby. Apparently the baby had pooped in his underwear and he needed a diaper change! I followed him outside and he had already taken the underwear off the baby, and the underwear were sitting on the driveway beside the naked baby. Once we got the diaper on, Micah took the "dirty" underwear and put them in the washing machine. I am so glad we got that taken care of!!!  I wish I could bottle this stage up and keep it around!




No comments:

Post a Comment