Monday, April 16, 2018

Reading time!

To finish up the school year, Courtney is just reading some various Sonlight books to make it to May. We finished up "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" program about a month ago, and I didn't want to start anything new in April. This was the reading curriculum that went with our Heart of Dakota curriculum. I want to start something new next fall, so we just need to finish out the year.

Today, Courtney finished up the book "Island of the Blue Dolphins" that she had picked to read from Core F.  I read this book to them right before Micah was born, so I didn't assume she would remember much and she really didn't! She read it and enjoyed it.

After we finished discussing that book, I asked her what she wanted to read next. I am not being too picky, but I prefer that she picks a book from Sonlight since they provide comprehension questions.

She looked at me and said, "You know, that one about a dog! I want to read that one!"

I responded with, "A dog? I have read many books about dogs in the past few years. Which one are you talking about?"

"You know, the dog one. He gets saved in the end. That one was my favorite!"

At this point, I was thoroughly confused because the only dog book I remember was "Old Yeller" and that dog dies in the end!

She ran downstairs and I saw her go into the storage room where we store our old Sonlight cores. By the time I got down there, she had found the book. She said, "This one!" She had pulled out "Ginger Pye."



I looked at her and said, "Ginger Pye? Sure you can read that book."

Do you know when I read this book to my girls?? It was when Megan was in 2nd grade!!! It was the first year of homeschooling! Courtney was 5, and she is now 11!

How in world did Courtney remember this book out of ALL the books that I have read in the last seven years?? And to say that it is her favorite?? I will never know!


No comments:

Post a Comment