Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Allergy Results for me!

After four years of dealing with food sensitivities and watching what I eat, I finally decided to see an allergist about it all.  (I had been seeing a chiropractic internist before this.)  I have also been having some hives and some red spots appearing when I eat sugar or fruit, so I thought I would go see what he had to say.

His opinion was opposite of what I have been told for the last four years!! I know this is medical vs. natural, but I just kind of left shaking my head and not knowing what to think about it all!

He didn't have much to say about me breaking out in hives once or twice a month or even about my red spots on the back of my neck when I eat fruit. He did do a skin allergy test on me for milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, and coconut. Everything came back negative!! (Unlike Micah's test the week before!) His words were, "Well, now that we know you are not going to die from these things, let's get them back in your diet!" He said that sometimes when people go off foods for so long like I have, they tend to build up an allergy to them. Luckily I have not done that yet!

He wants to get me back on milk first, but since I have had a sensitivity to sugar lately, he recommended drinking 2 ounces of Lactaid (milk with no sugar) every day for two weeks. I said, "Two ounces?? Are you crazy? I haven't had milk for 5 years and I am going to drink two ounces everyday!" Let's just say I started with 1/4 teaspoon!! I am going to work it back in slowly, not all of the sudden!

I also kept a food journal this weekend to see if I could figure this out on my own. I realized that every time I eat fruit, I get itchy and break out on the back of my neck within five minutes. I emailed him on Monday and mentioned it. I got a call back from the nurse today and she said to keep a journal of what I was eating and maybe we can figure it out. Seriously?? Isn't that what I just said I was doing??  She said the doctor didn't think it was an allergic reaction and since I wasn't dying from it, I was supposed to go ahead and keep eating fruit. She said if it really bothered me, I could pull it out of my diet. She then wanted me to discuss it with him at my next appointment. I asked her when I was supposed to come back and she responded with, "In six months." Apparently I am supposed to just deal with itchiness for the next six months?? Really?? I just shook my head. I have not had any fruit in the last day and have been fine, but I need to eat fruit!  I may end up back at a functional medicine doctor again!!

He also wanted me to eat from the FODMAP diet. This is food that is easier to digest, so when I go back on milk, I may not have so many gut issues. My only problem is that half of the food on the FODMAP diet is food that I have been reacting to lately! Fruit and sugar! There goes that idea!

I am going to take Megan in to see him on Friday because she breaks out in hives whenever she takes a shower. I don't think it is good for her to break out in hives every two days. I mentioned this to him when I was there last week and he said something had to trigger this and that is what we need to find out. Hopefully we will find an answer!!

I do think he is a really nice guy and really knows what he is talking about. He is probably the first medical doctor I have been to in the last four years (besides having Micah last year!) He knows where the more naturalistic doctors are coming from, and he has his own opinion. He doesn't put them down or anything, he is just medically trained, so he sees things differently than they do. Hopefully I can figure out the best of both worlds and get my body figured out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment