Monday, September 5, 2016

No Sleep, not even on Vacation!

We have been gone the last five days on a mini-vacation to Niobrara State Park. This was the only park with spots still reservable a couple of weeks ago, so we jumped on the chance to get away for a few days. We had never been in northern Nebraska, so we thought we would go explore somewhere new for once!

We had a great time! The area up there is BEAUTIFUL and the park was very isolated and quiet.  We went to Gavins Point Dam one day and explored that area.

We also went to Ashfall Fossil Beds and saw all the work they are doing there. It was so neat. I loved it that Christian wanted to learn everything he could about every picture and fossil there. Courtney kept saying, "I thought this was vacation. Why do we have to learn something??" Quite the difference!

Yesterday we thought we would let the kids go swimming at the pool at the campground, but it was cold and chilly and we ended up just sitting around all day. It seemed like it was going to rain at any moment, so we stayed close to the camper. I really wish it would have rained during the day because it rained ALL NIGHT!!

Since we were just sitting around all day, we ended up getting the kids to bed earlier than usual. I actually turned my light off around 10, which is early for me. At 11:09 pm, I woke up because I was having a very weird dream! I also heard some noise outside and when I looked out the window, I could see lightning off in the distance. I woke Matt up and we checked out the radar. There were bright red areas coming out way! I didn't like the looks of the radar! And here we were in a camper with four kids!

Luckily for us, it was just pretty intense wind, very heavy rain, lighting and thunder. There was no tornado watch or warning! But when you sleep in a slide out, every thing is twice as loud.

This rain started shortly after 11 and kept going until about 2:30!! I was awake almost the entire time and I kept looking at the radar, hoping that it would be over soon. At one point, we were in the clear and there was nothing else coming out way. But unfortunately, another storm popped up and we were getting rained on again.

Thankfully, everybody but Megan slept through it all.

By about 2:30-2:45, it was done and I tried to get to sleep. I think I achieved my goal until Megan got up to go to the bathroom around 3:15. She had been awake since 12 and couldn't sleep. When she opened the bathroom door to go back to bed, it squeaked and she woke Micah up! NOOOO!!!  I got up right away and tried to nurse him back to sleep, but that didn't work. I was losing my patience fast (remember, not much sleep at this point), so I put him back in his bed to scream while I woke Matt up to help me.

Matt took care of him for a little bit and Micah ended up laying beside me in bed.  He was awake until 5:45!!! I was also awake. I had pretty much been up since 11 with about a half an hour nap!

I got Micah back to sleep and tried to get some sleep myself. It is always depressing when I am trying to go to sleep and the sun is coming up.

Around 7:15 am, Micah was back awake and crying again!! That was only 1 1/2 hours! I really didn't want to get up, but I knew he would continue to cry until I picked him up.  I got him up and eventually the other kids got up too. I was really hoping we could all sleep until 9 or so!!

So in all, I think I got 2-3 hours of sleep last night.

Seriously! Even on vacation, I cannot get enough sleep!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment