Wednesday, August 13, 2014

School, school, school

It has begun. All the Ruwe children are back in school. :)  At the kitchen table of course!! I feel very fortunate that I do not need to send them off to school for the day. I LOVE it that they are home with me and we can have school together.

Things have been going well. We started Monday and at the breakfast table, Megan was asking if we could start our read aloud right then and there! She was anxious to get started! Our first read aloud is this book and I have been telling her about it, so she just wanted to get started! She says read aloud time is her favorite part of school.



We finished breakfast on Monday and then took "first day of school" pictures! (Sorry if you already saw these on Facebook!) I think they turned out great! The kids were so cooperative!






 
Once we were done with these, we headed back indoors and started the read-aloud. We spent almost an hour on it because I really wanted this kids to understand the characters and the story line and they didn't want me to stop reading! Every day I hear, "Just one more chapter!"

We also started all our other subjects Monday morning too.  Some subjects we are continuing from last year (Megan's spelling, Courtney's phonics, history, Bible), but many we are starting with brand new (to us!) books.  I love writing in notebooks for the very first time!

Things have gone well. I really think my kids enjoy school and are eager to learn! Megan jumped right in on Monday and I did not have a problem with her at all! Once she finishes her lessons with me, she immediately goes upstairs and gets her homework done. 

Courtney is having a harder time adjusting to the new schedule.  She doesn't like that she has to write out her math problems now instead of just putting the answer in her workbook.  She doesn't like that she doesn't get to play all day anymore! I think she has nothing to complain about! I will give her some grace because it is only the first week of school. She will adjust. :)

Christian is loving school too.  We started the "Before Five in a Row" curriculum and the first book we explored is "Blueberries for Sal." Christian LOVES blueberries, so I thought this would be a great one to start with! We have been reading it every day and doing little activities. He doesn't want to put the books away at lunch time! He wants to keep learning!  If you asked him his favorite book right now, it would probably be "Blueberries for Sal!"



I know this is the first week and we all have some adjusting to do (especially Courtney), but I think we will fall into a schedule and have a great year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment