Monday, March 31, 2014

Counting Down!

Is it ok for homeschoolers to count down until the end of the year? Because I am doing just that!!

I have the rest of our year planned out, our tentative last week of school will be May 27th, which is the week of Memorial Day.

At that point, we will be at a good stopping point for our Sonlight and Bible curriculum.  We will pick this up again in the fall. Hopefully we will be done with both of these curriculums by Christmas.

I will need to continue to work on math, English, and Spelling at least through June; we are behind because of our five week trip last fall to the east coast.  I really want Megan's 4th grade math and 4th grade English done before she starts the 5th grade. I also would like Courtney's 2nd grade spelling book and her 2nd grade math done before she starts "2nd" grade.  We will probably continue to work on her phonics during this time because we will not be able to finish it. We will pick that back up next fall. 

We are talking about doing another five week trip later in the summer or next fall again. I think we are going to head west this time!  If we do this, I am going to be behind next year again.  This is another reason to keep working through June!  I really don't want to keep going on our Sonlight material, but I might have to. I eventually want to get through this material and onto the next core!

Like I said earlier, we should get core e (American history) done by Christmas next year.  Then what do we do?? My first thought is to take that 2nd semester and work on Nebraska history. Isn't that what Megan would be studying in 4th grade if she was in public school? Even though we aren't in public school and Megan will be in 5th grade next year, I think it is still worthwhile.  I could go this route and supplement with reading, writing, and geography OR I could start on the next core in Sonlight, which is core f. In this core, you study the eastern hemisphere! You spend 3-4 weeks on a major country, it is more of a culture study than a history study. I think the best part of it is that you read about missionaries in each of the countries. It is the only curriculum that I have seen that you study this part of the world so in-depth, I am looking forward to it!

As I was at the homeschool convention this last weekend, I looked at another all-in-one curriculum and it wasn't for me.  I look at it every year and every year I come back to Sonlight.  I love the challenge that Sonlight gives us and I love the knowledge we gain from all the living books.  Even though it will be a challenge to add more subjects to Courtney next year and add some preschool with Christian, I think it will be worth it!! I will just need to make Megan more independent. :)

As for now, we need to concentrate on the last nine weeks of school!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment