Friday, July 27, 2018

We are almost done and new beginnings!

My poor kids won't get much of a break from school.

We have been working all summer on math! Megan and Courtney each have about 10 lessons left and Christian has about 40! How did I get so far behind with him?? We have been doing two lessons a day lately just to finish. He has been a pretty good sport about it!

Anyway, one of my homeschooling rules is that I like to be done with our "grade level" curriculum before we start the new year in the fall. I think we will make it!  This is usually math and English. I feel I can just roll over the other subjects, and it doesn't matter!

Another reason I need to get our work done is that I need to get Megan ready for high school this year!  I told her we need to start all her subjects new this fall, and she needs to finish them or get close to the end this coming year. We cannot keep going with them in the fall. We need to start counting credits this year! I can hardly believe she is in high school!

Since it is almost August and school goes back in two weeks, I have been working here at home to finalize our curriculum for the coming school year. I am actually changing a few things and starting a few new curriculums. I hope it won't be too much of a change!

I am also one to pick and chose my books from a variety of curriculum companies. Many people pick one company and do all their subjects; I have never found that to work for me! I usually like one subjects and not the others. For example, I have LOVED Rod and Staff math and English, but I didn't care for the other subjects. I am not sure if I would be labeled an "eclectic" homeschooler because I pick and chose!

Here is what I have lined up for Megan:

Bob Jones Fundamentals of Literature
Writing with Skill Book 1
(NO GRAMMAR OR VOCABULARY THIS YEAR!!!)

Mystery of History Book 2 along with the historical fiction literature from Sonight Core G

Bob Jones Algebra 1
Apologia Physical Science (which she did 1 chapter in last spring)

We are also looking at letting her taking Latin up at the local high school this year.  This would be for her foreign langauge credit.

I am also going to give her a half credit for PE/ Health. I went to a high school seminar last spring,and they said colleges like to see this on the transcript. It shows that the students aren't lazy. :)

She also has been teaching herself piano, so I am going to throw a half credit of piano on her transcript too.

Along with her studies, she will be participating in Homeschool Teen Serve and serving at the Homeschool Learning Center. These will count towards volunteer hours, which I am going to require of her. :)

She also will attend youth group at church.

This should keep her plenty busy!

Actually she is kind of worried that she will be too busy! I said you are in high school now- you are going to have to step it up and just maybe do homework in the evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment