Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Broke!

Matt and I decided that we need to try to eat all the food we have in our freezer before we leave on vacation. He wants to unplug as many items in the house as we can during that time, this includes our refrigerator in the basement.

Yesterday, I went downstairs and brought up a whole chicken to put in the crockpot.  It was pretty frozen when I put it in the crockpot around noon and by 6 pm, it still wasn't cooked all the way through. It was still cold and not even boiling.

What was happening? The crockpot I was using was 17 years old and the knob had fallen off awhile ago, but I could always get it back on to set the temperature. I had turned it on high when I put the chicken in at noon. I turned the knob again to check the temperature and the plastic knob broke. Uh oh! When you can't use the knob, you can't adjust the setting. Obviously I wasn't going to be able to do anything now! And my poor uncooked chicken!

I asked Matt what he thought I should do. His suggestion was to put the chicken in the oven. Great idea! I set that to 450 degrees and put the chicken in. We were all starving, so I thought the quicker, the better!  Within 30 minutes, the liquid was boiling and it looked cooked!

So my final thoughts? I think my crockpot I got for my wedding needs to go in the trash!

I think it's funny how within the last 1-2 years, I have had many things break that I got for my wedding! But on the other hand, many things are still going strong, such as my Kitchen Aid mixer. I am going to cry if that ever breaks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment