Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tuesday, July 18th

Today everybody slept in until about 9 am. We had a pretty late night the night. Micah was up at 7 am though, so Matt took him for a walk and kept him occupied for awhile. I feel like we are all off an hour. We switched time zones in Indiana, so that is probably why we are up late in the morning and we don't go to bed until late at night.




I made granola for breakfast, and since my kids had run to our friends' campsite, I just took our pans of granola over there. Once breakfast was over, we started making plans for the day. I told my friend that it was supposed to be 86 degrees today and then cooler the rest of the week.  She thought today would be a better day to go swimming and then we could hike on the cooler days. I thought that sounded great.


I had mentioned that I wanted to go see the Whitefish Point Lighthouse along with the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum which was right beside it. This was about 15 miles away. She then said that there was a beach right behind the lighthouse where everybody could go swimming. Great! Something for everybody!!  Once I got everybody's swimsuits packed along with lunch, we were ready to go. I was assuming we were going to be gone all day.


Not everybody wanted to go to the museum though, which was fine. We ended up splitting up when we got there. I took Megan, Kaelynn, Erich, and Christian to the shipwreck museum and the rest headed to the beach. I found the museum very interesting! I read the displays to the little boys and explained things to them. It didn't take us very long to go through. We learned quite a bit about how ships sank in this area. Many of them crashed into each other in the fog and yet others, the boiler blew up and caused the ship to sink!


Once we were done, we headed outside. We thought everybody was at the beach, but they were all standing by the cars. What was going on? They said the flies were super thick at the beach and they couldn't stand it anymore!! Courtney and Miki were actually in the truck with the doors closed!


I didn't quite know what we were all going to do now.  Five of us had tickets to the museum, so there were still a couple of buildings to go through plus a short movie to watch. I wanted to do all these things, but what were the others to do that didn't pay for admission??


There were also five of us who wanted to climb to the top of the lighthouse (Whitefish Point Lighthouse), so we bought our tickets. You had to be at least 8 years old and wear tennis shoes to climb it. Luckily I had seen this on their website before I left the camper! We got signed up to go at 3 pm and it was only 1:30 pm. We needed to wait awhile yet. We all sat down on benches to eat lunch and then the five of us that had museum tickets went through all the buildings. Matt and Frank along with Jennifer, Miki, Courtney, and Ana did not have tickets, so they sat on the benches and waited for us. Unfortunately, the flies continued to bother them. :( They said it wasn't near as bad as it was on the beach, but still very troublesome. Everybody started to call them "Vampire Flies." They were biting Miki until she bled and were even biting Matt through his socks!


3 pm came and we went to the top of the lighthouse. What an amazing site! We could see the mountains of Canada plus the actually "point" of Whitefish Point. We were up there about ten minutes and then I thought we should relieve the dads. We came down and asked if they were ready to go. They got up  and ran to the car! They had been waiting very patiently for us while getting bit by flies!! They were more than anxious to be done with that place!!


We left about 3:30 and headed to another little beach on Lake Superior where the kids (and adults) could play for awhile. I sat on the side and took care of  Micah. Courtney, Matt, and Christian got in the water. The shore was really rocky, so it really hurt your feet. Frank and Ana ended up going WAY out. You could see the mountains of Canada very clearly from there and we figured up that they were about twenty miles away. You could see windmills on the land in Canada.


We headed home after that because everybody was hungry. We actually stopped at a small grocery store on the way home. We only have about 1 1/2 rolls of toilet paper left and three days yet to go here. Kind of a toilet paper emergency!  We didn't find any. Our kids may be going to the bathhouse to go to the bathroom once it is gone!


 I didn't really have any plans for supper, but Jennifer and Frank were going to make burritos over the fire, so our kids decided that they wanted to make them too. We asked Frank and he said we could use their fire, so I decided to  make all the burritos in my camper and then take them over to theirs to cook and eat. The kids were over there anyway!


I had them almost all put together when it started to downpour. What a great way to put out a campfire!! :(  Matt came in and said their fire was going out, so we just made them in the oven. Everybody in our family came back to our camper in the rain, so we sat down and ate together in the camper.


Once we were done though, the girls ran back to the other camper and didn't come home until 10 pm! Matt and I stayed home with the boys because it continued to rain for awhile. I ended up playing quite a few games with Christian. He had a lot of fun beating me in UNO! We also played a storytelling game and some others. Matt eventually turned a movie on, so I was "off duty." The girls came home and we got everybody to bed. Now everything is peaceful and I am able to catch up on my blog. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment