Monday, July 11, 2016

Who wants computer time?

For the last six months or so, Christian was constantly asking me to play computer, especially when he was bored. I tried to encourage him to find something else to do at these times, but it didn't always work. I needed to find a balance between letting him get on the computer once in awhile and learning how to entertain himself away from electronics.  This finally got to me one day last week and I came up with a solution! (Ok, I saw it on Facebook!).

Before Christian gets to play computer or any video games, he has a list of chores he must accomplish.

1. Get ready for the day (get dressed, brush teeth, make bed, clean bedroom)
2. He must help do the dishes in the morning. His job is to put the soap in the dishwasher!
3. He needs to spend 20 minutes either coloring, reading, or writing. He also needs to read through his phonics words.
4.  He needs to make or build something creative.
5. He needs to help somebody in the family do something.

This little list has helped tremendously!! Whenever Christian asks if he can play computer, I ask him what he has accomplished.  Some days he doesn't get to play computer because he does not have them all done, but today, he accomplished them ALL!!

I helped him clean his room, but he did most of the work. He even made his bed all by himself! He helped entertain Micah while I was teaching school, and he spent about 20 minute reading and working on his letters. He was creative with some friends we had over and read his phonics words,

He was so excited when I told him that he had accomplished everything on his list and that he could play some video games. He ran right down to Matt and told him!

About ten minutes later, the entire family was in the living room playing Mario Kart!!

I am glad this is working! It was just the motivation we needed for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment