Saturday, February 21, 2015

New School books!

In about a week, we are going to start a whole new curriculum for history, science, and language arts for both girls.  We have studied American history for the last 2 1/2 (Sonlight cores D and E) years and now we are going to focus on the cultures of countries of the Eastern Hemisphere (Sonlight Core F). There are about 30 books in this core, so it will take us awhile!



Courtney has been great about listening to Megan's readings for the last year or so.  She listens to the read-alouds and to the history and has probably learned just as much as Megan has, even though the curriculum was designed for Megan's age group.

Last night, I was looking at what we were going to start studying and Courtney, with this sad look, said, "What? No more American history??" I said, "No, Courtney, we are done with American history." I thought she was going to cry! I didn't know she enjoyed it so much!

She then went on to inform me that she can continue to listen along with Megan's work, which she can.  There is one section to the curriculum though that would be too hard for Courtney.  It is a research section on every country in that hemisphere. She asked if she could see it, she wanted to see if I would really be too hard for her. I pulled it out and showed it to her. Her eyes got big and said, "Yep, you're right, that would be TOO hard for me!"  I told her that we will continue to read history and read aloud books out loud and she seemed happy! They just won't be about American history anymore! (I guess when you study a subject for 2 1/2 years, the kids get a little attached!)

To make up for this though, I bought a Core A instructors guide. Core A is a world cultural study for the younger ages (age 5-7). I thought I could go over this curriculum with Courtney and Christian while Megan is researching her material in core F. This way Courtney keeps learning and we start getting Christian involved. He is always begging for "his turn" anyway! I think we are just going to do the "history" section, which would only involve these books.




It will be quite a change here in about a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment